5.30.2008

Strawberry Salad and Mango Dressing

After being terribly disappointed in Saturday's local Farmer's Market, we found some lovely strawberries at a road side stand. I've been eating these for days!




Strawberry Salad:

mixed baby greens
yellow squash
Strawberries
black sesame seeds


Dressing:

Tomato
mango
shallot
lime
salt


For dressing: Use equal amounts of tomato and mango, shallots to taste, a squirt of lime and a dash of salt (I recommend RealSalt). Portions really depend on the size of the items you have on hand, the amount of dressing you like on your salad, and personal taste. (I used most of a small mango, a third to a half of a medium tomato, one shallot bulb, juice from a wedge of lime, and two grinds off my salt grinder- for two large salads.) Blend until smooth, adding water (a teaspoon at a time) to thin if necessary. An immersion blender is perfect for this!

Slice squash (I used a mandoline to slice tissue thin). Slice strawberries. Place mixed greens in a bowl. Add in the thinly sliced squash, and dressing. Toss to coat. Top with sliced strawberries, and black sesame seeds.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

MOLLIE'S MOM said...

Beautiful and sounds absolutely divine. I hope you'll prepare this for one of our potlucks.

It's ironic that you posted this recipe because for the last week, I've been trying to come up with a salad recipe for my strawberries. I remember a similar recipe that used balsamic vinagrette for the dressing. Is balsmaic vinegar considered a living food?

~pixx said...

Thanks Liz!

I'm not sure on the vinegar, I typically stay away from it, but I've seen some folks use it in raw recipes.

I wouldn't really worry too much about it, unless you're aiming for 100%. :~)